Thursday, April 09, 2009

We'll be Back, Serfaus!

Jochen's kind of commute


Jochen is someone who doesn't put a lot of stock in the tried and true, the bird in the hand, the devil you know. This is why it generally takes months before we make it back to our favorite restaurant, and years before we go back to the same ski area; it's also why he happily suffers disappointing meals and complicated travel arrangements. The last time I was in the Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis region was approximately 8 years ago. Afterwards Jochen and I split up and I took a train to Lucerne to meet up with Leanne and Niki. I still remember sitting in the sauna with the girls and them questioning the black and blue marks all over my upper body: is this guy good for you?? Back then I was tumbling my way down the red and black slopes, somehow completely confident in the knowledge that this is a sport I will master and love. If I knew then I would be back someday with the Pig!

Serfaus has a lot going for it: altitude, decent snow, excellent array of long and varied runs, and a reputation for being family-oriented. As you see above it even has a village subway with only 4 stations that saves you from having to lug your skis to the lifts...pretty cool!

We loved our hotel, which is totally geared toward young children and serves amazing meals for parents who don't manage to get out much anymore.


Jochen enjoying the sun on our wraparound balcony.

Since coming back we've had our hands full with Pig sick all this week, but he's thankfully on the mend. With this year's trip Jochen has achieved the dubious objective of not letting me miss a single ski season, despite two pregnancies. This *achievement* was made possible by weirdly cooperative family planning, my mother-in-law's willingness to take on above and beyond grandma duties, and the milk pump - the subject of a future soapbox exercise to come...

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter